Temp is due to climb to 70 degrees here today in the woods of northern Virginia. Ken died six years ago this morning, and Martin Luther King's birth is celebrated today. Marg and Walt are gnawing on rawhide bones out in the yard under overcast skies. And I am happy to report that so many still want to believe in so much.
I received many emails and comments about the last post called Creed. The response has reminded me that, despite war and tension and the difficulties life throws at us, we humans still find the small specs of contentment and wisdom that contribute to a satisfying life. My friend of almost 30 years, Phyllis Sheerin Ross, known as Phyll, sent me her creed. And here it is:
- The truest saying is: 'If you always do, what you always did, you always get what you always got.'
- Everyone has a BIG secret.
- If you're stuck, only you can get yourself unstuck. Conversely, you cannot unstick anyone else.
- Most people will smile back, when you smile at them. Especially babies.
- Nobody laughs harder at old family stories, than old families.
- The most boring thing that old people can do is to talk about their illnesses. On the other hand, old people make a good audience, as they know it will be their turn next, to talk about their illnesses.
- There's a big difference between silence, solitude, and loneliness. Silence can be punitive, solitude is chosen, and loneliness is not.
- The best remedy for a blue mood is to reread a favorite book.
- The music of Bach can soothe, like no other music. That's all I could listen to for months after 9/11.
- The 1960s were the best time to try recreational drugs, grow your hair long, get drunk, and drop out. If you're still lost in the 1960s, get over it.
- It's even better to sing in your car, than it is to sing in the shower. But, never sing Karaoke.
- People become more attractive, as we get to know them.
- Everyone wishes that Woody Allen would make funny movies again.
- There's no such thing as a good toupee.
- Every day really is an opportunity to start all over, or, at least to try.